Alex Txikon & team begin second high rotation on Manaslu

Alex Txikon & team including Simone Moro, Iñaki Álvarez and Cheppal Sherpa begin the second high rotation as they try to make a winter ascent of Manaslu. © Phelipe Eizaguirre

Alex Txikon & team including Simone Moro, Iñaki Álvarez and Cheppal Sherpa begin the second high rotation as they try to make a winter ascent of Manaslu. © Phelipe Eizaguirre

Bilbao, on January 26, 2021.- Alex Txikon and his team get back on track. The weather seems to give them a slight respite (they need to check the wind in altitude) and tomorrow they will head back to C1. Once there, they will analyze the ascent route -in recent days it seems that a lot of snow has accumulated-, and will try to equip towards C2. Today, Sherpas Kalden and Namja managed to ascend to C1 and will sleep there, waiting for Alex Txikon, Simone Moro, Iñaki Álvarez and Cheppal Sherpa to join them tomorrow.

If during the first part of the expedition the weather was very favorable, the team has seen how in the last week a storm has brought them wind, cold and snow, stopping the objective of getting C2 equipped as soon as possible. However, they used these days to work in base camp, since there are always things to be done. The team’s spirit is intact, as they are perfectly aware that bad weather can appear at any time, but in the last hours, after analyzing latest weather reports, their motivation rised and they decided to try the mountain.

They have to check two important issues: that the upper wind is not as strong as in recent days and that too much snow has not accumulated. For this, it is essential to go up and see it first-hand, since forecasts are always approximate. They will go up to C1 and there they will decide what to do, although the idea is to equip up to C2 as soon as possible to be able to attempt the summit as soon as possible. Alex Txikon and Simone Moro are positive about it.

“The weather has not allowed us to move too much last days. Even so, we took the opportunity to carry out different jobs in base camp. After checking the weather, we realized we could have a short window of good weather so we have to gain altitude step by step. Until we are a little bit higher we can’t know the route conditions but we have to benefit of this window because here everything changes from one day to the next. It will be important the wind is not strong and not much snow has fallen. We will check actual conditions”, said Alex Txikon while preparing his backpack to go up.

Info: www.ferrino.it